National Board Renewal


In a time when teacher worth is connected to a few classroom observations and student test scores, I decided to pursue renewing my National Board Certification to connect myself with my choices and my students. I, like the thousands of other NBCTs, did not do this to prove that I am better than anyone else. I underwent the process to become better at who I am as a lifelong educator. This means I willingly put my practice under a microscope for other science teachers to evaluate. I defended why my choices in professional development for pedagogy and educational technology made a lasting impact on student achievement. This is exactly the type of reflection I love and crave as a professional.

I just submitted my renewal portfolio which represented 10 years of my growth as an educator. What learning did I accomplish and why was it important to my students? These are the types of questions we should be asking ourselves all of the time. Will this help my classroom? Will my students benefit from a better teacher as a result of my participating in this workshop or is there something more meaningful? As professionals, we owe it to ourselves, our students, and our profession to be reflective in our choices and thoughtful about our own learning endeavors.

After having gone through the NB process for a year 10 years ago with an extended PLC and now for renewal, I see an even greater need for teachers to connect with their colleagues daily and to share their practice. When we share ideas and discuss how our students are performing, we force ourselves to step outside of our comfort zones and become more critically reflective. When I have the opportunity to share ideas about education with other passionate educators, I can feel the fire energizing my brain. Going through National Board, you realize that extreme importance of a professional learning community and not just a common planning team. When we force ourselves to open our doors and invite others in, we can learn from feedback and improve our craft. My hope is that more teachers will seek NB Certification to promote and improve the profession and to become more reflective about their own practices.

Curious about National Board? Visit http://www.nbpts.org/ or http://www.nbpts.org/national-board-candidates

No comments

Back to Top